Grade 5-8 ELA - Ms. Greyson
Thanksgiving is a time of togetherness and gratitude. This is one of the most favorite times of the year, when we are reminded to give thanks and count our blessings. We realize how blessed and lucky we are.
Students are learning about different types of letters, parts of a letter and how to address an envelope. In observance of Thanksgiving, students are required to complete the following assignments.
Wednesday, November 22, 2017 -
Early Dismissal at
Thanksgiving Break - November 23 - 24.
Students should read 30 mins each day and
record the minutes read on the reading log.
Thanksgiving Assignment (See handouts)
1. Write the things and people we are thankful for.
2. Write "Thank you" letters to the special people in your life. (Mom, dad, grandparents, aunt, uncle).
3. Address the envelope made in class. You may need to make or get additional envelopes for more letters.
4. Put the letters in the envelopes and give them to loved ones as your Thanksgiving gift.
5. Create/design your own STAMP putting the value of your choice. Place the stamps on the envelopes.
6. Write a friendly letter telling about your favorite pet.
Assignment due on Monday, November 27,2017
ELA Test Dates
5th Grade-Friday,December 1,2017 6th Grade-
Thursday, November 30, 2017.
in all Things
November is the month to remind us to be thankful for the many positive things happening in our lives.
Students have completed the book report for October. Continue reading and recording minutes read on the reading log. The next
Book Report is due on December 4, 2017.
Continue to memorize the poem "Jonathan Brown"
Create your own invention. Write a description of how it works. Presentation on Monday, November 20, 2017.
We are currently working on putting together our newsletter committe. Students have expressed interests in the following: graphic designers, writers, editors, photographers, news reporters and publisher. We are very excited to get this going for the new year.
1.Continue to memorize the poem "Jonathan Brown"
2. Chester could not stand the cold. His ears would freeze whenever he plays outside so, he created the ear muffs. Create an invention of your own. Make a prototype and write a description of how it can help others. Due Friday, November 17, 2017.
Using the story read in class from the book Vocabulary Workshop, complete the story Grammar Wheel.
5th Grade - "Sempter Fidelis" pgs.13,14
6th Grade - "Alex, the talking Parrot" pgs. 9,10
7th Grade - "Fear in the Night" pgs 13, 14
8th Grade - "Golden Glass" pgs. 51 - 55
Having read the stories in class, complete the Graphic Organizer to show comparisons between both stories.
5th Grade - Worksheet pg.9
6th Grade - Worksheet pg.12
7th Grade - Worksheet pg. 4
8th grade - Worksheet pg. 4
Preparing for oral presentation on Monday. Poetry/scripture writing.
Spelling Test Dates:
5th Grade......Tuesday, November 28, 2017
6th Grade....Wednesday, November 29, 2017
7th Grade....Friday, December 1, 2017
8th Grade.....Wednesday, December 6, 2017
Have a great week.
Good morning parents:
I hope you had a very restful weekend.
The homework for week ending Friday, November 10, 2017 is as follows:
Monday (5th to 8th Grades)
Choral Speaking (The Story of Jonathan Brown)
Students will memorize the words of the poem ( paragraphs 3 and 4)
This will be recited in class.
Tuesday (5th and 6th Grades)
Writing - Summarizing/Paraphrasing
Read the story "Seeing Eye Dogs" In a brief paragraph, summarize the steps it takes for a puppy to become a guide dog.
Tuesday (7th and 8th Grades)
Read the story "The Two Brothers " What do the proverbs in the story mean? Paraphrase them in your own word.
Wednesday (5th to 8th Grades)
Comprehension - Cause and Effect
Using one of the following scenarios complete the graphic organizer to identify the relationship between an event and its result:
1. The earth shook for 30 minutes. The Meteorological Office reported that it measured .9 on the Richter Scale.
2. The student paid very close attention in class. She took very clear notes and asked the teacher questions. She spent hours studying and preparing for the test.
3. It rained for 3 days none stop. They had very poor drainage and some drains were not cleaned for years.
Select one and descrube at lease 4 effects.
5th Grade - Worksheet page 9 (Combining Sentences)
6th Grade - Worksheet page 12 (Locating Subject in Sentences)
7th Grade - Worksheet page 4 (Parts of Speech in Sentences)
8th Grade - Worksheet page 4 (Parts of Speech in Sentences)
Have a great week